Review Detail

Sky-Defender

Sky-Defender 2009-10-09 07:16:23 dhalamar
Overall Fun Level 

dhalamar Reviewed by dhalamar    October 08, 2009
Top 50 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews

I was going through yesterday downloading trials for games that I just kinda disregarded at first … and somehow managed to buy the full version of this. So I figured it’d be worth mentioning. Sky Defender is a Space Invaders style gae where enemies go left and right at the top, and you’re at the bottom shooting them. No more, no less.

The main problem is, it doesn’t do anything else aside from that. I got to around level 24 or so and I finally just got bored of seeing the same two enemies over and over again.

There are some powerups in the game. It looks like your gun goes up two more levels to fire 2, then 3 shots instead of just one. Yellow orbs that are extra lives, and sheilds. Which, there is one thing the game does get right in the fact that these powerups float by on the screen and you collection them by shooting them instead of snagging them. Which makes sense since the screen is usually full of enemy shots.

The graphics are okay, but pretty bland at the same time. There’s no animations at all, just the ships moving left and right shooting. The ships themselves look alright, but there’s only the three ship types in the entire game. Yours and the two enemy types. There’s nothing else that differentiates the enemies other than their look.

It’s almost hideously slow paced, and there’s no real challenge to speak of. You just go through wave after wave holding the A button down to fire and moving out of the way of the enemy shots. And the enemies just seem to show up in random places. When you die … unless you’re on your last life, if you lose a life you don’t even know it. You get hit by one of the enemy shots, and your life counter goes down. Not even a sound to signify anything. It just kinda happens. And sometimes when the enemies spawn, they’re overlapping each other. That’s the whole game. It does save your high scores, and the engine itself it decent. It’s just doesn’t have a particularly interesting game attached to it.

The sound is equally as basic. It’s got the same crappy music looping over and over again, and you get a slight explosion sound. That’s about it.

But the weirdest thing is … Starlit Sky Games website (found here) has a Windows version of this for free … and it’s almost a COMPLETELY different game. It’s got the same boring background and basically the same ship types (i don’t know about your ship because the game runs windowed and my ship is cut off at the bottom of the screen due to my 1024×600 resolution) … but it’s actually insanely fast paced and FUN for what it is. The enemies swoop across the screen, the ships fly apart when they die, the entire screen shakes when you get killed. It has a heavy metal soundtrack. The enemy ships look a hell of a lot better. What the hell happened with the 360 version that goes from this rockin’ fast paced shooter to this slow paced meandering mess?

4.0 – Ignore the 360 version and snag the Windows version from the official site. It’s not perfect, but it’s a hell of a lot better than the 360 version.

If I were to rate the Windows version, I’d give it about a 6.5 purely based on the fact it’s the same basic gameplay, just a hell of a lot faster, better looking and sounding, and fun for the short time it lasts.

More reviews on Wasted Seconds

Was this review helpful to you? 
Report this review

Comments

To write a comment please register or log in.

Top Arcade Games

Phantom Breaker:Battle Grounds
User rating

10.0 (1)
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
User rating

10.0 (1)
Retro City Rampage
User rating

9.5 (2)
Sanctum 2
User rating