Review Detail

Comic Jumper

Comic Jumper 2011-11-11 20:15:32 vashkey
Overall Fun Level 

vashkey Reviewed by vashkey    November 11, 2011
Top 500 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews

For those who don't mind running through some so s

Given how awesome the Twisted Pixel's previous game, 'Splosion Man, was it's kinda surprising just how dull Comic Jumper was in terms of gameplay.

Comic Jumper is a pretty standard side scrolling shooter. You side scroll and you shoot and to that portion of Comic Jumper's gameplay theres rarely anything else to it. The game is pretty tough though, regardless of it's simple mechanics. Theres often times just too many enemies in too many places to hope to come out of many encounters unscathed and theres no way for the player to recover health. Fortunately you have infinite lives and the game usually places checkpoints generously.

Regardless, the high difficulty levels feels like it's there for no reason other than to pad out the game's length, much how alot of the game feels, many levels and set pieces just drag on for too long and feel more like chores than anything.

Aside from the side scrolling shooter segments there are some behind-the-shoulder shooting sequences that feel a bit reminiscent of Panzer Dragoon. In these sequences the player doesn't actually have any control over where Captain Smiley is going, just where he's shooting and which side of the screen he's located. These bland sequences add nothing to the game but a bit of variety.

Then there are the infamous quick time events that God of War made so popular. You know the drill, Simon Says with buttons. Again, this adds no depth to the experience, just a pinch of variety.

Where Comic Jumper excels is presentation. The graphics are retail quality, voice acting is great and the characters and script are hilarious. As the characters travel across multiple genres of comics the visual theme of the game drastically changes and the main characters Star and Smiley take on appearances fitting to the locales, sorta like what Kingdom Hearts did.

While I really enjoyed the characters and story I would have really enjoyed it more if Star and Smiley had developed more and learned from their failures. I can understand why this wasn't the case, it might have been cheesy and perhaps they're too bone headed to learn, but I still would have liked for them to see a happy ending.

The game is about five hours long, which isn't terribly short and you'll be glad that it's over anyway because of incredibly dull and repetitive gameplay, but it'll still leave you wanting more for your fifteen dollars and fortunately there is more. The missions you complete earn you cash which lets you purchase bonus content and upgrades for your characters. You'll probably want to concentrate a bit on the bonus content since they also provide you multipliers for your earnings letting you get more cash than you would usually earn and from missions allowing you to unlock even more content and upgrades.

Theres a wide range of bonus content to unlock. Videos, concept and promotional art, models, gamer pics, a premium theme, comic covers, ect. It's pretty cool to see alot of the stuff that fueled the development for the game, some of the concept art even features stuff that didn't make it into the game, a pretty ballsy move. But alot of the videos are satirical and don't actually detail any of the game development and even though they are sort of funny you'll likely just end up feeling like you just wasted your in game cash.

Anyway, I think weather you want to play Comic Jumper depends on what kind of gamer you are. If you're in it for just the gameplay or can't imagine playing a game that just isn't very fun for the sake of some funny cut scenes, skip this. For those who don't mind running through some so so levels for some funny cut scenes, go for it, I guess

Was this review helpful to you? 
Report this review

Comments

To write a comment please register or log in.

Top Arcade Games

Phantom Breaker:Battle Grounds
User rating

10.0 (1)
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
User rating

10.0 (1)
Retro City Rampage
User rating

9.5 (2)
Sanctum 2
User rating