Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/xblarate/public_html/modules/mod_roknewsflash/helper.php on line 112

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/xblarate/public_html/modules/mod_roknewsflash/helper.php on line 112

Review Detail

BloodRayne: Betrayal

BloodRayne: Betrayal 2011-09-14 15:29:46 WarLokk
Overall Fun Level 

WarLokk Reviewed by WarLokk    September 14, 2011
Top 50 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews

BloodRayne: Betrayal

BloodRayne : Betrayal is a slick little game. One that will have any fans of of 2D side-scrolling beat-em-ups glued happy they took the time to check it out.

The game looks a lot like the classic Castlevania games from the past. This doesn't have any of the exploration those games had though. It has some hidden collectables littered throughout the stages but instead of exploring a map, you have a challenging trek across the level that is filled with all kinds (even if they do look identical at times) enemies that all want to see you dead. This isn't a bad thing though. Since you are a half-vampire bad ass babe you have plenty of tricks up your sleeve to dispatch your foes.

There are your swords/forearm blades. These are your go to weapons and also shower the screen with a good amount of horror movie blood splatter. Everything you do earns you points (my one gripe -- more on this later) including a bonus for decapitations. You also have a firearm that is limited in ammo but high in the power department. Combine all of that with an array of acrobatic moves -- including a head jump that can keep you in the air -- and the combat flows well and looks great. The health mechanic is fitting for the genre as well, you get it back by feeding off of your foes.

Going through the 15 levels is sure to be a treat if the above sounds interesting to you. My only gripe is that of the score system. After each stage, even though I tried to change it up and increase my scores, I was always awarded an F rating. The lowest there is. Now this isn't me being a sore loser, but I think the game could go out and give you some more guidelines as to how to really attack the score. It might just be the style of game where they want devote countless hours achieving perfect runs. I wanted to give fair warning to those casual players who might think they were doing something wrong. That said, this never takes away from how enjoyable the game is. High Scores aren't everything afterall. Right??

Was this review helpful to you? 
Report this review

Comments

To write a comment please register or log in.

Top Arcade Games

Phantom Breaker:Battle Grounds
User rating

10.0 (1)
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
User rating

10.0 (1)
Child of Light
User rating

10.0 (1)
Retro City Rampage
User rating