Review Detail

Comic Jumper

Comic Jumper 2011-01-16 22:26:35 PMH
Overall Fun Level 

PMH Reviewed by PMH    January 16, 2011
Top 500 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews

There's a new hero in town

Poor Captain Smiley, thanks to lame villains and poor writing, readership is at an all-time low! As a result, his title gets canceled. Down but not out, Captain Smiley and his side kick pal, Star, begin to guest star in other comic titles to raise money so they can  relaunch there own. Will Captain Smiley make enough money to relaunch his comic? Will Smiley regain his status as one of the tip comic book heroes? Will Star ever be nice to the poor Captain? Find out tomorrow! Same Smiley time, same Smiley channel!

What I loved most about this game was the humor! I have never laughed so much from a video game like this one. From the silly, often cruel banter between Smiley and Star to the over the top villains (one has his own theme song which is hilarious!) you will find yourself laughing throughout the game! Without a doubt one of the funniest games of 2010!
The visuals for the game were also quite stunning! Each comic level had it's own distinct style ranging from the retro silver age to ultra realistic fantasy. It was also cool to see Captain Smiley's costume reflect each genre. Another cool graphic element was how when Captain Smiley would take damage he would slowly lose color until he became a pencil drawing and would explode.  

You also get a lot of content for your  Microsoft points! Besides the usual concept art work, you can unlock some cool stuff like premium themes for you dashboard, even gear for you avatar! And if you have Twisted Pixel's last game, Explosion Man, you can unlock a brand new level for it! It would be nice to see other publishers follow in this footsteps!

However, this game does have some issues. A huge one in fact. The game play is just not that much fun! Captain Smiley's main attack are his guns, which you control with the right trigger. You basically could just tape down the trigger and play that way while you constantly fight the same type of enemy over and over. And during certain times, the game becomes sort of like an on-the-rail shooter, which drove me nuts! The controls just felt so lose,making it hard to aim and hit the enemies.  I couldn't wait for it to be over with.

During the course of the game you can spend money to upgrade your weapons and abilities. I think the enemies must upgrade with you  because your weapons never seem as powerful as the should be. The enemies always seem to be way more tougher. In fact one of the bosses in the 3rd chapter made me give up on the game altogether. Trying to beat the boss became more like a chore then it should have been. It was just no longer fun.

The whole concept of Comic Jumper had me pretty excited when I first heard about the game.  As a comic and video game fan, it was a dream come true. Unfortunately, dull game play and difficult enemies have turned it into a nightmare. Its not one of the worst games I ever played but there is a lot of room for improvement!
 Comic Jumper may not be the best video game but I think it would work well as an animated show! Most if the time I wished I could just sit back and watch instead of having to play it.

Was this review helpful to you? 
Report this review

Comments

To write a comment please register or log in.

Top Arcade Games

Phantom Breaker:Battle Grounds
User rating

10.0 (1)
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
User rating

10.0 (1)
Retro City Rampage
User rating

9.5 (2)
Sanctum 2
User rating